Friday, February 1, 2008

Relevant Faith

If our faith is not relevant to our daily life in the world and in the parish, then it is no use; and if we cannot be Christians in our work, in the neighborhood, in our political decisions, then we had better stop being Christians. A piety reserved for Sundays is no message for this age.
... Douglas Rhymes


I have, over the years often asked non-believers why they never embraced Christianity, many of them answered that they did not want to be like the Christians they knew. Some of them said they didn’t know any Christians, even though I knew several Christians that they were acquainted with. I have often wondered, that if we are a people with the hope of eternal life, if we are the recipients of the inheritance of the King why aren’t we a joyful and satisfied people? If Christianity is the best thing going, if the only way to the Father is through the Son, then why aren’t we infectious with our presence and our Spirit? Why aren’t people grabbing us by the shirt sleeves and asking us what it is that we have and how do they get it?

I see many a Christian in the church on Sunday morning. Some (if only a few) of them have their hands raised in praise, some deep in prayer. Most of them are very polite and seem genuinely happy to see each other. Most of them sing with gusto when we raise our voices together. I also see several Christians outside the church, where God especially wants us to be Christians, and I often see another picture. Why is it that we can be so comfortable together and so uncomfortable outside the church? If we are able to worship among friends, and unable to witness among non-believers, who is it that we are really ashamed of?

Then he said to the crowd, "If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross daily, and follow me. If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for me, you will find true life. And how do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose or forfeit your own soul in the process? If a person is ashamed of me and my message, I, the Son of Man, will be ashamed of that person when I return in my glory and in the glory of the Father and the holy angels. And I assure you that some of you standing here right now will not die before you see the Kingdom of God." (Luke 9:23-27)

No comments: