Monday, March 31, 2008

The Little Things...

The other day I let a little thing bother me, maybe you can relate. As I opened the screen door to let the dogs out in the backyard a fly decided to come in. Now I know when the flies are buzzing around it is a sure sign that spring is in the air and summer is around the corner, but flies like all other bugs belong outside in God’s great creation, not in my house. You never know how small thing can bother you until you get a fly in your house.

At first I decided I had better things to do than chase it around, and I convinced myself I would get to it later. After all I had a bunch of things scheduled in my day. But, when he buzzed my head a few times I knew I had to take care of this problem before I did anything else. I used to be pretty athletic, but lately I have drifted far into the un-athletic side of the house. I discovered that when you have your eye on killing a fly you find some of your athletic ability. I wonder what I looked like as I jumped, dove, and swatted at this fly that deftly dodged all of my attempts. At first you use your hands, as if you are gonna find some super speed and just whack him. Soon I get smart and get the fly swatter. Of course, this being the first fly of the season, I have to remember where I put the fly swatter last year. When I finally find it I resume the chase. Now, knowing that squashing this invader is my aim I am a little more discerning about where the killing filed will be. A dead fly on the kitchen counter is not cool, so you stalk the critter and wait for an opportune time. The best time is of course when he starts to do that fly thing, you know where he charges the window and continues to bounce off it. This is when I make my move… I will spare you the details of the actual dispatch, but needless to say it required a trip to the laundry room where I could get the windex and clean up the scene of the crime.

This all made me think of how we live our lives. I had plans for the day. I had big things that needed to get done, and I made time to do them. All of a sudden a little thing like a fly hijacked my time. I chased this small thing all over the house. I allowed this small thing that really did not fit into my priorities to capture my time and lead me on a wild goose (or fly) chase. All the time I spent chasing this fly, I was ignoring the things that really need my attention.

Do you find yourself doing this same thing in your day to day routine? At the end of the day do you look back and see that life’s little flies came into your life and kept you from doing the things you wanted/needed to do?

The Apostle Paul tells us in his letter to the Philippians, Chapter 3, verses 12-14: “I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”

Are you pressing on toward the goal, taking hold of that for which Jesus took hold of you? Or are you spending your time chasing the little things in life that don’t matter at all?

1 comment:

LaDonna said...

It is difficult to stay focused each day on the tasks of the day, at least for me it is. Somedays I can't even remember the 'flies' that distracted me! It can be so frustrating. I do strive and pray each day for clarity and focus on the tasks of the day. I know with His help I will do better.