Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The new shape of things...


I am a news junkie. I know, most people say they would rather turn the news off but I can’t stand to not know what is going on right now. This got me thinking about how we view church these days.

In the past we had three major networks with three major news casts at the same exact time in the evening. Each one had a well known and trusted anchor. We would here the news from the one we trusted the most and we would all politely nod our heads north to south at the proper time and click our tongues at the tragedies of this world that went across the screen.

Now days we do this news thing a little different. I bet if I asked you right now you couldn’t tell me who the news anchors were for the three major networks (CBS, NBC & ABC). But you might be able to tell me who your favorite anchor is on the 24/7 news channels like CNN or FOX (MSNBC doesn’t count, it’s like some churches, dead but doesn’t know it yet.) We like things to be interactive like we get with Ireport (CNN) or Ureport (FOX) where we can be a part of the news. We like to Blog our opinion and instantly email the folks on the morning show with our opinion. We like it fast, interactive, media intensive, but relevant smart and incisive. We know the difference between fluff and news.

This made me think about the changes in our churches lately. It used to be that all our church services were at precisely 11 am on Sunday morning and ended at precisely 12 noon so we could all race to the local diner for lunch. Each sermon had three points, (four if they got fancy), and every first of the month we could expect communion, once a quarter with those churches that don't want it to go stale. Each service followed an order of worship that looked like last week and if Jesus didn’t come back midweek would look the same next Sunday.

Now days we want something different. We want our church to be interactive too. We want a worship space that changes with the Church calendar or with the message series. We want our music to be engaging and our message to be laced with media. We want to stand and shout, and we want to meet the living God, experience the saving grace of our Savior and feel the movement of the Holy Spirit. This aint no place to sush your kids..

I was wondering what you think of the transition of the Church these days. Is it what you thought it would be, or is it different than anything you ever imagined (just like Jesus!!)

3 comments:

donraley said...

I think that you're right on track. As I see it, what you're talking about makes the Christian faith more relivant, and isn't that what Jesus did. Just repeating facts/scripture is only half of it. God says to not just be hearers of the word, but doers. I think many churches are finally getting it: doing makes it relivant, which makes its real and alive. After all, it is the "Living Word".
Thanks for the great thoughts and your willingness to let God streach you.
In Christ,
don

Anonymous said...

Very well writtn and thought provoking.

I am as sad to state that "church" has such a degative image to a vast number of true Christians, not to even mention what the unsaved think of it.

Personally, I have lost all desire to go through the ritual of getting ready (properly dressed) and drive a good distance to attend a service that NEVER address how the Word of God (and even God Himself) relate to anything in my life.

I would love to have a short time set aside just for the purpose of allowing people to sing, praise, and to indivually worship the Lord.

I get more Biblical and spiritual instruction reading the Bile and studying what I need to learn using the Internet.

I would get more "fellowship" simply mingling with Christian in the parking lot or the fellowship hall than I do spending 5 to 10 minutes simply shaking hands as a scheduled part of the service.

Forgive me if I have discouraged anyone from attending services regulairly.

Rob said...

As a teen of the 1970's we thought we were doing some petty radical things spiritually. After all we were "Jesus Freaks", "the Jesus generation", in the midst of the "new" Jesus movement. Though we found truth in the new styles of music we sang and shared, and the insights and spirtual awakenings gained from intimate "rap" sessions, I'm not sure we thought of it as Church. To most of us Church was still the predictable, by-the-book services and sanctuaries you mentioned. I suppose I never really thought we'd see Church "done" the way many Churches are moving today. You know, I think for the most part I really like it. However I hear tell of some of these "Churches" that are being selective with their scriptures so that they can be the "feel good" place with lots of fluff but little or no "meat". I have seen and continue to see on a weekly basis that your generation doesn't matter as long as the Word is being served. Teenagers to centinials will always be able to come together under God's banner of LOVE.