Monday, March 24, 2008

May I take your order?


I went in to one of my local fast food restaurants the other day and it made me think about church. I won’t tell you which one it was because I don’t want to color your opinion of the place. But, when I got in there and walked up to the counter it took a few minutes for anyone to acknowledge me. I thought this was a little funny because I was the only person standing there, but I will admit there were a few folks in the drive-thru. After someone acknowledged me I gave them my order and waited. I would have liked my coffee, so I could mix it up the way I like it, and it would also give me something to do while I waited for the food, but the person on the other side of the counter (who was the manager by the way) didn’t think of that, so I waited. At one point a cashier noticed me standing there for a longer than usual period of time and attempted to come and help me. This earned him a rebuke from the manager, who said “I got him”, when in fact he didn’t. I waited patiently, taking all of this in. I eventually got my order from the manager, without much more than a mumbled “come again” and I was on my way.

Now, I probably wouldn’t normally put up with this kind of service, but I was waiting for someone to meet me there, and I was also enjoying this study in human behavior. I began to wonder if some people felt this way when they come into church.

Do they meet self absorbed people who are more interested in having their needs met than helping the first time worshiper feel comfortable?

Even though we have a “commodity” to share with the unbeliever, do they find the church members reluctant to share that with them?

Do people, who come in for the first time find themselves standing alone, waiting and not knowing what is really going on?

There are so many analogies that I could draw here but I think you get the picture. You see I like the food at this particular restaurant, but I know that there are several in the same town that provide what I want so I don’t necessarily have to go back to this one again. Even though this restaurant is closer to my house than the others, it might be worth my while to go to one further away in order to feel comfortable, and receive the service I come to expect. I guess it is the same with the church. You might be the local church, but that doesn’t mean the locals will come. You might offer the same gospel as the other churches in town, but they will probably make up their mind about you long before the Gospel is preached. I have found over the years, that most first time worshipers make up their minds as to whether they are coming back long before they hear the first word of the sermon. The ones who greet the worshiper in the parking lot, or at the door, or make them feel welcome in the seats; they are the ones that will keep them coming back. The strength of your church's hospitality or welcoming program hinges upon the very first people guests meet. Remember, the gathering of the “fellowship of believers” has a lot to do with the fellowship part of the experience..

No comments: